Monday, December 10, 2007

Weekend Getaway

Mig and I headed to the mountains over the weekend so we could take the Durango Silverton Train ride. This is something I have been wanting to do for at least two years now so I finally bit the bullet and bought the tix (not so cheap).
We left on Friday and it rained pretty much the whole drive up to Pagosa Springs, CO. When we got there all of the power was out, every single traffic light was out! Yet still, the local grocer managed to have their holiday music playing through the dimly lit aisles.
When we got to my mom's cabin the power was out there too. Have you any idea how hard it is to entertain yourself when there is no light to read, craft, or otherwise by and especially no music to fill our heads? Mig and I were blurting out one liners of horrible music, you know, the kind of crap that only gets recognition because it so easily sticks in your head... here's a sample, "Turn around, every now and then I fall apart, and I" .... anyway you get the idea and I have to say that was a low point, low enough that we just went to bed at 7:30. Can't say I would have minded the extra sleep but I some how convinced myself we were getting Carbon Monoxide poisening and therefore even had trouble breathing in my dreams.
The next morning we spent half an hour traveling the 20 feet it takes to get out of the driveway, rain and then snow equals LOTS of mud and a huge slick mess. We barely made it to the train on time. Anyhow, we made it and had quite the enjoyable time. Here are some pics from it.
And lastly, a picture of the Abiquiu area, which also got some snow. All in all the trip turned out to be visually gratifying only making my appreciation grow larger for the southwest.

No comments: